Manipur Armed Group abducted police officer Amit Singh

Manipur Armed Group abducted police officer

Manipur Armed Group abducted police officer Amit Singh

Manipur armed group, Arambai Tenngol, comprising 200 gunmen abducted a police officer named Amit Singh from his residence. This incident took place in Imphal East district in Manipur State.

Amit Singh is an officer in the operation wing of the Manipur Police whom an armed group abducted last evening. The armed members of Arambai Tenggol, a Metei organization raided the residence of Amit. They damaged at least four vehicles with gunfire. This erupted new tensions in Manipur and authorities called the army.

After the abduction incident happened, law enforcement agencies deployed four brigades of the Assam Rifles (Army forces) in Imphal East. They rescued injured Amit Singh from Kwakeithel Konjeng. They admitted him to the Raj Medicity for treatment, where his condition is described as stable.

According to police, about 200 armed rebels in automobiles invaded the residence of the Additional Superintendent of Police, Amit Singh at around 7:00 pm. They destroyed the household items at the premises.

Upon receiving information, extra security forces hurried to the scene. In the subsequent police action, two people including Rabinash Moirangthem and Kangujam Bhimsen were also injured. The authorities took them to JNIMS Hospital in Porompat.

Click here to read the updates on Commando shot dead in Moreh gunfight amid Manipur violence

The reason for this incident and firing was that Amit Singh had arrested six members of the armed group Arambai Tenngol for their involvement in vehicle theft. Amit had also registered a case against them.

Following the arrests by Amit, a group of Meira Paibis (Meitei women) protested and blocked roadways, demanding the release of the arrested men. Meitei is an ethnic group of Manipur. Despite the protest, authorities did not release their men. Afterward, the firing and kidnapping incident occurred.

M Kulla Singh, father of Amit Singh, said they tried to talk to the armed men after they raided the residence. But all of a sudden the armed men started firing at the vehicles and properties. So, they had to rush inside and lock themselves.

Read More:

Share this content:

Post Comment