Legionnaires disease alert for Sydney CBD put millions at risk

Legionnaires disease alert for Sydney CBD

Legionnaires disease alert for Sydney CBD put millions at risk

The Central Business District (CBD) in Sydney has become the center of high health alert after several people were hit with terrible legionnaires lung disease. Millions of visitors went to Sydney’s CBD between Christmas and New Year’s.

They are being advised to be on high alert for symptoms as seven people were diagnosed with legionnaires’ lung disease who visited Sydney CBD.

NSW Health issued a health notice advising everyone who has visited the city center in the last 10 days. They should watch for symptoms such as coughing, fever, shortness of breath, and headaches.

It comes after three women and four men visited the hospital with pneumonia. Later on, doctors diagnosed them as carriers of the legionella bacteria which causes legionnaires’ disease.

According to NSW Health, symptoms of legionnaires’ disease can appear up to ten days after exposure to contaminated water particles in the air. They can spread to severe chest infections such as pneumonia.

A person can’t transmit this disease to another. However, particles of contaminated water discharged by a cooling system spread this disease. Those who smoke and those who have underlying health and lung problems are particularly in danger.

Click here to find out why NSW government approves aerial shooting of wild horses

Public health units in local health districts across NSW monitor legionnaires disease cases and collaborate with local councils on cooling tower management.

NSW Health stated that environmental health inspectors are collaborating with the City of Sydney Council to investigate cooling towers. They are examining maintenance records that could help decide which towers need inspection.

Routine monthly cooling tower testing enables early detection of contaminated towers and prompts additional cleaning and repair procedures.

However, a specific type of legionnaires’ disease may spread via soil and potting mix. According to NSW Health, up to 52 people got this disease due to breathing in bacteria from the soil.

Read More:

Share this content:

Post Comment